24.4.08

The Wackness

Whether it's to relive 1994 or see Mary-Kate Olsen in dreads, I recommend going to see The Wackness this summer, a coming-of-age comedy set in the year of hip-hop. No, I wasn't at Sundance this year (or any year), nor am I best friends with director Jon Levine, but watching the recently released trailer and viewing the awesome website is enough to know --- this is going to be solid.

One of the biggest reasons to go see The Wackness is its cast, starring Josh Peck (who I love) of Nickelodeon's Drake and Josh, legendary Sir Ben Kingsley, Olivia Thirby from Juno, Famke Janssen of the X-men trilogy, Aaron Yoo from Disturbia, half of Michelle Tanner and fashion icon Mary-Kate Olsen, and oh yeah... M.E.T.H.O.D. MAN.



If that doesn't catch you, maybe the plot line [about a disturbed high schooler and pot dealer, who trades weed for therapy sessions with a psychiatrist, where both mature - from boy to man and man to boy] will.

Or how about the fact that the film is set in the summer of 1994, when hip hop was reborn with Nas dropping Illmatic, Snoop dropping Doggystyle, and none other than the great Wu-Tang Clan bringing Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) to the [turn]table. And ps. Biggie and Tupac were still tight.

If none of those reasons seem to be good enough for you, I hope you enjoy watching some top quality Kung Fu Panda or Speed Racer this summer.

As for me, you can find me on July 3rd in line for The Wackness.








A Tribe Called Quest - Oh My God

Snoop Dogg - Gin and Juice

Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

No comments: